History of Forestry
Although famous for its fine Cedars and Cork Oaks, Goodwood is best known for the Beech Forest surrounding the estate.
Some of the oldest trees at Goodwood are the Cedars of Lebanon, which were planted in 1761, at the request of the third Duke of Richmond, who introduced species from many parts of the world.
The trees have proved to be an invaluable asset to the estate at times. Once an estimated 33,000 Beech trees were sold to cover Death Duties.
They have also played a part in the Second World War, with many Goodwood Beech trees shipped off to the front line for construction use. To return the forests to their former glory, a substantial replanting programme started after 1945 and again in the late 1950s.
Today, the forests around Goodwood are carefully managed to ensure they live on to delight visitors and the local community for many years to come.